Monday, February 11, 2008

A change in tension

Hey Kate!

The gauge for the lovely Dragon Scale Mitts requires a swatch in the pattern stitch, so I decided to just knit away with the size 3 circular kneedles and the Blue Sky Alpaca Sport and hope for the best. Well, the best didn't happen. I always used to knit too tight before, but after switching to Continental knitting and after reading EZ's advice about not knitting tightly, I'm now knitting looser than normal gauge.

So down to size 2 I go. The problem is that I don't have size 2 circular kneedles and my size 2 DPNs are just too slippery with which to knit that lovely Alpaca. So I'm just going to have to get me some Harmony fixed circular kneedles in size 2. I know, it's a hardship.

In the meantime, I am knitting a pair of Fetching in Patons SWS. I'm not liking this yarn for the mitts so much, but I really just want to finish it and it's not too bad. I think I'm just spoiled by the Alpaca.


I'm using size 4 Harmony Options -- size 6 and 5 both were turning out too big. This seems to be just right, though it could be a little tight.

I know, I could just switch back to throwing... but, well I can't. Now that I have the hang of German/Continental knitting, it's all I want to do. I'll only throw when I've got a bunch of purls in a row. It's just faster and more natural for me.

That's all I got for now.

Later!

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment